give her some bling

Hey guys! i don't know if you noticed something new about baby in my last post. she did a whole lot of new these past two weeks, so maybe you did.
she learned to wiggle across the floor. laugh out loud (the cutest belly laugh by the way). she learned to eat solids and she just turned 7 months.
but she also got something new and sparkly. 
  did you notice? 
yep. miss elena got her ears pierced!!! 
but here's the thing: did you know there are heated debates online (i'm sure there are also some in real life) about piercing little girls ears? WOW. i had no idea! 
the most commonly phrase i've read is, 'it's their body and they should decide if they want pierced ears or not'. sound familiar, doesn't it? yeah....we live in a feministic era.
some of you may know of my hispanic background. having been born and raised in Durango, Mexico where it is culturally acceptable and encouraged to pierce baby's ears as soon as they slide out their mothers uterus. seriously!!!
i  had my done at 6 weeks old. and guess what? i don't remember it. i don't remember the sharp pointed earrings. i don't remember the pain. i don't remember feeling betrayed because i didn't get to choose to have them pierced. 
but i remember, that as i grew up, i always wore earrings and i had to choose which ones i wanted to wear for the day (or i could leave them in all week) and to me, that was fun. i can't wait until Elena gets to pick which ones she wants to wear. but meanwhile, i'll do the picking just like i pick her outfits and which foods she eats and what toys she plays with.
for me, piercing Elena's ears wasn't about beautifying her. she didn't need it. look at her. and it hasn't stopped people from confusing her as a boy even though she normally wears a headband (because i try to stay away from pink) it was partly because i love earrings and because she's my girl. my one and only.
we girls have to stick together, right?! and if we can do that with some earring shopping, then let's do it.
let's bond, baby.
but really, if you really must wait for your baby to choose whether or not to have them pierced, there are Poppy Drops and those look like a ton of FUN. i kinda want to give them a try!
and just for the record, even with my ears pierced at a young age, i remember wearing these sticker-like earrings and having a blast at choosing which pair to wear. 
it doesn't matter---we just want the bling!
post signature
ps. please don't send me horror stories of piercing baby's ears. i respect your opinion of waiting to pierce your baby's ears and you should respect my decision to do so as well. :) have a happy blessed day!

2 comments

  1. I love it! I would have pierced my ears, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was searching for my GF’s blog and came across yours. Started reading and came to your recent post about piercing your daughter's ears. She looks totally adorable with little earrings. It reminded me of my own experience having our daughter's ears pierced at about the same age. I actually dreamed of my baby with earrings when the nurses first handed her to me in the delivery room, she had little gold studs in each ear :) After she was born, I could hardly wait to get them pierced.

    This was a perfect age to pierce her ears! I promise you were a smart mommy for doing it as an infant so she’ll just grow up with them. Promise you will have many moms envious of your decision and wish they had pierced their girls as infants. Babies and little girls with little pierced ears celebrates their femininity and femaleness. Their is nothing cuter than seeing a little baby girl with pretty gold earrings. If she was ever called a boy, then I promise she won't be mistaken for a boy ever again! Totally agree ",,,all little girls and their mommies just want the bling!"

    Our ped encouraged me doing it when mommy could care for them. Also, she gave me some info for moms having their dd’s ears pierced to find the right person and place to do it.

    Would be happy to share by e-mail with any moms wanting more info or trying to decide ” to pierce or not to pierce.”

    Amyswor1765@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Stay connected! Contact me on Instagram @sanlynet