Ikea-hack - GORM shelf

I don't know about y'all, but I love a DIY project. So when I was obsessively scouring the internet for an affordable shelf {thanks for not helping Craigslist} I found this beauty at Ikea:
GORM Shelving unit IKEA Untreated wood; can be treated with oil or glazing paint for a personal touch and a more durable surface.
Source
It's natural wood, for only $30 + 2 xtra shelves + stain + polyacrylic coat. Can't beat that. 
Well, we did have to brave Ikea two days in a row, but come on, that's how I like to spend my weekends.
Dang you Ikea and your near vicinity!!!
Anyway, I knew this project was mine. There was no way I was going to ask the husband to do it since he had full days of workouts at the high school. 
So I braved myself. I poured my margarita, turned on my tunes, and got out my materials and started staining. 
Thank the skies they were cloudy! 
It took me two days to sand, stain, let dry, stain, let dry, clear coat, and put together.
It was such an easy DIY. 
It didn't come out too bad. I can think of some drawbacks to it but at least it matches out entertainment center color! 

3 comments

  1. HP and Twilight front and center. :)

    *I just gave you a Liebster Award. Check out this link: http://mooreorganizedmayhem.blogspot.com/2012/09/liebster-award.html

    And have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks awesome! I can't believe it's from IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out awesome!! I absolutely LOVE all things IKEA! The closest one is 2 hours away and I make an almost quarterly trip up there! :)

    ReplyDelete

Stay connected! Contact me on Instagram @sanlynet