I wish I would have learned this in school

You remember your teens years, don't you? 
All rebellious, naive, innocent and dumb in its entirety, right? 
Personally, I never listened to anything anybody told me. 
To this day I keep asking myself why I didn't listen.
Now I'm older. I'm just beginning to grasp the meaning of life.

Ever since I joined Pinterest & Instagram, I've been inspired---EVERY DAY.
Ideas, concepts, artists, tutorials...you name it. Whether it's what's for dinner, a birthday, a thank you card or just art....
it came from somewhere. 
I recently went shopping with a friend of mine, and when we entered a store, my eye immediately got drawn to this one item. A book. 
"Steal like an Artist" by artist/author Austin Kleon.
Why was I so attracted to this title?
In all honesty, I seriously thought I was the only  artist that stole ideas from other artists. Secretly saving images to my computer so I could browse those images when I didn't know what to draw? My folder is called "Art Inspiration." So using an image to turn it into your own?? Turns out, I'm not alone. It's what EVERY ARTIST does. I just didn't know it. Until now....
{The author states this book is helpful for everyone, not just us artists}
And I couldn't wait to read this book. I was literally skimming the pages while I was still in the store. 

"Nothing comes from nowhere. All creative work builds on what came before. 
Nothing is completely original." 

ALL of it is true. 
ALL of it was relatable, it opened my eyes, and gave me some motivation.
But this, this really hit home:
Sometimes I can't create something, or don't even attempt to, because I haven't discovered my style. 
**rolls eyes** I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM!! {does anyone, really?!}
I'm so fearful that I will fail that I just won't try. Kleon calls this the "imposter syndrome." 
Guys, I really have no idea what I'm doing. In art and in life in general. I guess that's why Google was invented. But I really never get a good feeling after I finish something I just 'winged', that to attempt it again, is just a waste of time. 
So here's a suggestion:
AHH, the whole basis of this book: START COPYING. Copy all that is good. Subtract all that is not worthy. Copy your heroes. Copy COPY COPY! 
The book says, "our failure to copy our heroes is where we discover where our own thing lives{!!!}" 
HOW on earth did no one teach me this?! 
If this had been taught in my 10th grade art class, I would have understood the reason to copy and why it's vital to find your own path within those attempted copies.
After you copy, find your little self, you SHARE. Sharing is good, according to Kleon. Share parts of you--not everything. I often find that artists on Instagram share 'sneak peeks' of a WIP {work-in-progress}. 
This makes their audience excited, it motivates them to begin their own project and shows a "how-to" during their process. 
{I crave pictures of the different stages in an artist's workflow because it's always fascinated me how they  work}.
Distractions are such a jerk. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest....
Like, really....
I am fearful to step away from the screen because I'll miss an important picture that someone posted. That picture could have possibly been my inspiration to draw something!! I could have missed an opportunity to network with someone. 
But according to this book, you are to work with your hands--not just your head. 
Neat concept, huh? 
Another thing hindering me are EXCUSES!
Let's see some of my examples, shall we?
  • I don't have a proper space to create {I need a studio}
  • I don't have the energy {I've been cleaning and cooking ALL DAY}
  • I don't have time {I always have tomorrow}

Excuses are pathetic. "Make things with the time, space, and materials I have RIGHT NOW. "
I recently finished a drawing with a stash of colored pencils that belongs to a 6 year old...imagine that!

It took me forever to finish during our move, but I finished! And the client (a friend) loved it.
I am about to start on this one--
...and am looking forward to the finished product so pray that I finish it in a timely manner :)

Kleon also mentions that having different hobbies helps put a balance in your life. That travel {even to the neighboring town} is important to experience places other than your home. To be boring {set yourself aside from diversions that would not help your workflow like partying it up, for example}. Keep a calendar and a logbook to help keep track. And to keep your rude comments to yourself  and not create drama in the social world.
That's all it should take to become great, right?

I would love to hear some of your self-realizations on how you chose to be better at your craft, and some advice or pointers on how you realized you needed to get out of that creative funk.
IF you are struggling how to improve your motivations, your artistic discipline, I encourage you to read this book! It opened my eyes to what needs to be done and how...and it was such an easy read too!
Kleon shoulda taught my high school art class...

P.S. The life of an artist is so complicated....

NOTE: All images are my own, save for the pink Pinterest one and I am not being compensated for this book review.

No comments

Stay connected! Contact me on Instagram @sanlynet